Social Media Optimization, or SMO, is comparatively a new term in website optimization, and has already started showing its magic in gaining a higher page rank and improved inbound traffic. Owing to the immense popularity of social media today, optimizing your website according to the search-specific requirements has become significantly important in driving huge traffic to the website, and also determining whether a particular online business or concept will flourish or not. In fact, Social Media Optimization involves attracting more traffic other than the search engine sources.
Internet technology has grown up like a vast universe and Social Media is the wonder child of Internet. Youtube,facebook,twitter,linkedin,Dating portals,web 3.0,social communities has gained a great popularity in today’s Digital era. Infact it wouldnot be an exaggeration to say that social media has collapsed the entire universe into a community. A word of mouth can be easily served to billion of people just with a click.Social Media Optimization is a buzz word in digital media industry which has produced versatile and revolutionary imprints on the mind and beviour of people that is leading to changes in the way they think behave. Social Media Optimization is the best and biggest way to improve the visibility of a upgrowing businessg by connecting to common masses and score massive popularity in a very short span of Time.
What is Social Media??
Before going to the concept of Social Media Optimization, it is important to understand first what does social media actually means. Well, social media is a popular online tool or platform that is used to connect to the world at large, sharing opinions, ideas, experiences, and different perspective with each other. It also helps in building online communities for different issues, products, services, ideas, or personalities. It is like using the word-of-mouth communication in spreading something across the internet. And owing to the immense popularity and huge traffic to the social media sites, Social Media Optimization has all become all the more important for the websites to attract a big chunk of traffic from these social mediums.
What is Social Media Optimization?
Social Media Optimization refers to methodizing the social media activities with the specific intent of driving unique online visitors to the web content. It is in fact, the process with which your content is made more easily shareable across the social web world. The web content model today has become more pragmatic in approach in ensuring as many viewers to see the content as possible. There are typically two important types of Social Media Optimization techniques that help in driving more traffic to the website. Firstly, certain social media features needs to be added to the content that includes social news, RSS feeds, polling tools and user ratings, sharing buttons, or third-party community functions like videos and images. Secondly, other than promoting the content, different online promotional activities in the social media like blogging, participating in discussions, commenting on other related blogs, or posting status updates and latest news on the social networking profiles are also considered significant in Social Media Optimization.
5 Rules of Social Media Optimization
Social Media Optimization, is an online process to gain massive popularity through social network in order to enhance business and increase the group assets for maximum development. The rules are discussed below in details:
- Enhance your Link Connectivity – This needs to be the first important priority for the webmasters. There are many sites, which are simply used as a storefront, and rarely anything is updated on such pages. However, this does not go well with Social Media Optimization, and it is important to increase the Enhance your Link Connectivity of the content to connect to the social mediums. Connecting your website , developing white papers, or aggregating the content into an useful format is an incredible step for keeping your content updated and linked.
- Make tagging and bookmarking easy – Adding different content features like share buttons is one of the easiest process of tagging pages. Make sure that the page includes suggested notes for a particular links, and a list of relevant tags for better tagging. Also ensure to tag your pages on the popular social bookmarking sites for an effective Social Media Optimization.
- Reward inbound links – Inbound links are utterly significant in overall ranking and search results, and it is important in Social Media Optimization to encourage more inbound links for higher traffic. With tools like Similarly and Permalinks, the reward for inbound links are more clear with higher visibility for those who link to you.
- Help your content travel - Social Media Optimization is not just about making changes to your website. When good portable content is submitted to the relevant sites, it will actually help in making your content travel further, thereby driving more backlinks to your site.
- Encourage the mashup – Syndicating your web content, and opening it up through RSS, makes it easier for others to develop mashups that can attract more inbound traffic, or simply augment the content.
Following these golden rules of Social Media Optimization will essentially help in improved visibility, linking, and greater traffic from the social media sources.